Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Growing up. The early years

Joe,Bill,Jack,Gene
The month of July 1934 was a hot one. 25 out of 30 days hit over 100 degrees. Can you imagine what is was like to be 8 months pregnant with 3 children, Gene 6, Jack 4, and Bill 2 years old with me on the way. The only air conditioning was a hand held fan. I was born in a house on Iliff Ave. on August 6th, 1934. If my memory serves me correctly the house had 4 rooms, 2 on the first floor and 2 on the second floor. The bad news is we only had the first floor. My God parents had the second floor.




In the first month of my life we moved to Dewey Ave. where we had 4 rooms for mom, dad, and 4 boys. I guess I'll never know or understand why we moved back to that same little house on Iliff 6 years later. I went to Ressurection school for the first 3 years and then we moved to Beech Ave., from the time I was 9 years old to 15 years old and I attended St. Lawrence School. When I was 15 we moved to Duebber Dr in Delhi Hills. We had 4 rooms down and 2 rooms up. We thought we died and went to heaven.

There are two of Jack's favorite stories I need to record for future generations.
Jack likes to tell at all family gatherings how he is only going to live to 102 years old and will not be available after 2032.

When I was growing up I had a friend whose name was Frank Braun, his nickname was Dutchy because he was always in trouble. Dutchy's parents owned Braun Bakery at the corner of Iliff and West Liberty. One day he decided to relocate (a better word then steal) 2 cigars. On Gilsey Ave. was an abandoned ice house. Back in the depression people had ice boxes instead of refrigerators. We decided to smoke the cigars in the ice house. I was 10 or 11 years old. Later that day Jack came home and said the ice house burnt down and guess who was seen leaving the ice house. Thank God they didnt turn us in.

Another time Dutchy took some money from the cash register. He was only relocating it. We went up on Glenway Ave. where a Chili parlor had coney islands 21 for a dollar. Dutchy purchased 21 of them and before we could eat any of them he remembered that is was Friday and we couldn't eat meat on Friday. It was alright to steal but don't eat meat on Friday.

By the way Jack said he needed me for a Pall Bearer in the year 2032. I don't know if I will be available I may have golf that day so we are looking for a volunteer to take my place.

Until I read Kathy's blog I didn't know about the squirrels in the attic but I remember a squirrel getting in the kitchen on Beech Ave. Mom came to the rescue and got him out. Another time on Duebber we had a rat come up the pipes and into the toilet bowl. Mom got a pot of boiling water from the stove and took care of him. Those were the only pets we had while we were growing up.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe Monahan blogging what a wonderful world the internet is. If only my grandparents and great grandparets had the chance. Thanks dad!

The Monahans said...

that's great dad. of course, we expect a lot more posts now. I hope you don't mind, I added a few links and an aerial of the first home. click on the photo to enlarge it.

The Monahans said...

The comment above is from Pat. I am on the admin account.

Pat

Kathleen said...

Joe, great story. I hate to difer but I remember mom telling stories about other pets. Jack brought a monkey home. He did not last long. Mom got rid of him after he stated to climb her drapes. The monkey not Jack. She also told a story about a dog that dad brought home. She wanted no part of taking care of a dog and four boys so one day when dad went to work mom dug a hole under the fence opened the gate and scooted the dog out. When dad came home she told him the dog escaped. kathy

Ann & Bryan Zobel said...

The rat story I have heard many time, and to this day I alway put the lid down for fear of a repeat.

thom said...

I like to play 'can you top this'and because Pat had a 'like father like son' in your later blog entry, I have to submit the following: There was this house in Franklin, Ohio that was minus one bedroom thanks to my ability to use matches as a supplement for electricity.